RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE, DEV BLOG!
It's probably about time we made an entry here to talk about things we're doing, and have done, with the site!
Previously, all of the site stuff was done by Aveline. When she stepped down from her post as Doyenne, the officers and I let a lot of site-related things fall by the wayside, including this blog. But now, we're finally getting to those things.
Now, we control the horizontal. We control the vertical. Do not attempt to adjust your screen.
Since the last entry, we've been changing a lot of things! I think a bulleted list is in order.
- IPBoards has been upgraded to 3.4.7, the latest official release.
- We had several additional board themes, but these themes haven't been upgraded to the latest release, so we thought it best to just set everything to the default IPBoards theme. (The IPBoards Mobile theme is also active.)
- We have switched our hosting service from Eleven2 to HostGator. Eleven2 was giving us some serious lag issues, but HostGator has thus far performed swimmingly.
- HostGator is now also handling our DNS name registration. "adventureleague.net" has been deprecated in favor of "tale-ffxiv.com".
- We have gone over all of our existing links to change any references to adventureleague.net to tale-ffxiv.com. (There may still be some out there -- if you spot any, please let us know!)
- Ownership of the site and all things TALE has been transferred from Aveline to Rikitiki, including our Steam group and our TeamSpeak and Minecraft servers, with the notable exception of our social media accounts (Facebook / Tumblr / Twitter), which have been assigned to Tahrara.
- In the process of doing all this, we noticed that we were paying $15.99 a month for a Minecraft server that we don't get nearly $15.99 of use out of every month. So when I noticed that our hosting provider offers a 4-player-limit FREE option, we jumped right on that.
- We made a pass through the site looking for references to the site rules, and pointed them to one single page. Previously, there were at least three different versions of the rules depending on where you clicked.
- The TALE Handbook has received a much-needed overhaul.
In addition to all of this, our PayPal account, and the funds therein, have been transferred from Aveline to Rikitiki. For the curious, we have paid HostGator for another year and a half (expires in November 2017), and we have enough to pay InvisionPower through April 2016. While we have (and anticipate) no other expenses at this time, I would be remiss in my obligations were I not to point out that there is a donation link on the main forum page, and we welcome any and all donations from our members.
Finally, just today we have placed a big TALE logo on the front page in place of the news/words/articles page that had been there previously. This is a temporary fix -- hopefully we'll get something more permanent there before long -- but we realized that none of the news and articles and such had been updated in ages, and that just looks terrible. So: TALE compass rose. :D
Please direct any questions or concerns you might have regarding our site to me or Claus. Thank you!