Volkai

Hardware assistance - building a new box

I'm working on building a new computer. This is the first computer I've ever put together by myself so I would appreciate some advice on parts, and on putting the thing together (like things you wish you knew when you put your own first compter together, or stuff that may need to be purchased you might not have thought of, like specific cables or something.)

I've picked up three parts already and there's two I know I need to get:

My default hardware source is Micro Center as they have a physical location a short drive away.

Ultimately I plan for this computer to last 5-10 years with periodic upgrades.

==GOT==

Motherboard: Z87-A Socket LGA 1150 ATX

CPU: Core i5 4670k 3.5GHz quad-core

* I plan to upgrade this in 3-5 years.

RAM: Ballistix Sport 8GB 1600MHz RAM (2 x 4 GB)

* I plan to upgrade this eventually, probably to 16GBs in 2-3 years and to 32GBs around 5 years out.

Case: Diablotex EVO Mid Tower ATX

SSD: 64 GB SATA SSD

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660

==PULLING FROM OLD BOX==

PSU: BFG GS-550 ATX silent fan 550watt

GPU: Transferring over my NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT for now. Will upgrade in a few months. Upgraded, see above.

Optical Drive: DVD/RW will suffice for now. Blu-Ray upgrade later.

HDD Units: 1.5TB and 150GB internal drives for mass storage. Will also be used for User folder with Windows installed on SSD, for Virtual Memory, and for XIV's logging.

Floppy Drive: Don't leave home without it. Don't stay home without it, either. Fun fact, some (all?) motherboards don't come with the port required to connect a floppy drive.

Also: External hard drive (300GB USB2), monitor, keyboard, mouse, gamepad, headset, speakers, wi-fi card (physically would not fit for some reason), that other thingIforgetwhatitis.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Picked up an SSD unit and case.

EDIT 2: Picked up a new video card sooner than I'd originally planned to. And modified the links.

Edited by Kistala

As a tangentially related side note, I probably won't be ingame until I have everything working together nicely, which may be another day or two.

I have Windows working right, now, but still gotta get the 1.5 TB HDD to start showing up (betting a loose SATA or power cable) and gotta get the video card working (running off the on-mobo graphics chipset so far.)

Hard drive showing up, all the ram is recognized (second stick had not been seated right), video card upgraded... I think I'm good to go!

...Well, once I'm home from work in ~5 hours.

Edited by Kistala

Woops, I misread "hard drive showing up" as "hard drive arriving soon" :P

Aaaand I ended up replacing the 150GB HDD with a new 3TB HDD, which will be the new home for my iTunes library.

Now I just have to deduplicate ~15000 music files. One letter a day, I think.

Hahahahaha... Now I just need to find some time to actually USE my new box to play XIV.

• Like 1

5.5 years later... I could use some help with upgrading the CPU as the mobo apparently can’t handle the latest stuff and replacing the mobo is “build a new box” time.